So today I was a bit under the weather (which is a polite way of saying that I was having a philosophical dispute with something I ate and was conducting a brexit poll of my own) and working from home (which is a polite way of saying that if you work in IT, being confined to where the king goes alone is not enough to get you out of work because we invented both the laptop and wifi). So over lunch I took the clamps off the core of the benchtop glueup to see would it immediately fall apart (because as we all know, a litre of titebond II regularly fails to hold wood together). Read more
Nice insulating back cover so that you don’t need a protective box for it on the bench from day one (wouldn’t recommend deploying it without a box of course, but the pi zero really needs some protection even on the bench).
I do like that touch of the pinouts on the header.
Haven’t had time to fire it up and play yet, but first out-of-the-box impressions aren’t bad…
I managed, one or three boards at a time, to get the glue faces of the benchtop boards planed smoothish (from rough-sawn) over assorted weekday evenings in the hour or less that I had free. Hell, I even managed to paint the sawhorses out of sheer frustration (and to test the colours of the paint intended for the shed).
Then this weekend I finally got a sunday to work on the top (I was waiting for a full day because everyone says that with pine, plane it flat and glue it the same day or it’ll warp on you out of spite). Out came the boards… Read more
There followed a few weeks of waiting and gathering up a few tools I didn’t have and was going to need (yes, I need a #7. For a given value of need. Oh come on, look at all that lovely cast iron…).
Then after that, once the moisture content was more or less stable in the wood, I hauled out the 2×3 lengths I had and knocked up some quick sawhorses because I was not about to plane an entire workbench on a workmate that did more dancing than I did at my wedding.
Nothing fancy, but so much damn nicer than planing on the workmate. Next up, planing the glue faces of the leg pieces.
So after enough time to use up all the swear words on a Workmate, I figured enough was enough and it was time to buy a workbench.
Then I saw the prices for hand tool friendly workbenches and vigorously revisited that notion, and came across Paul Sellers’ videos and the Stumpy Nubs 2×6 Roubo build and all the other builds out there, and like every newbie ever, decided to do something slightly more complicated than was strictly necessary (because hey, it’s fun).
This was the initial design: Read more
First step in building a bench – legs. Laminating up 2x4s to make the bulk of them.
A Black&Decker workmate is useful if you have nothing else, but I’m not going to be able to plane a lot of stock on it because it jumps about the place so much. These sawhorses should help. Simple construction using mitre joints, half-laps, housing joints, glue and cut nails. Not hugely special; definitely hugely useful.
Whoops, delivered into my neighbour’s parking spot. Sorry about that Ken!