Not quite a sunny day, but at least bright and reasonably dry. So got started after breakfast and flipped the bench back up onto the sawhorses. Holy pineapple but that thing’s getting heavy. Took the flush-cut saw to the pegs and a few of the more excessive tenon ends.
I do like the look of drawbored tenons. I’m not as fond of the surface after my flush-cut saw proved its manufacturers didn’t quite understand the concept of a flush-cut saw…
Time to mount the vice now. Read more
Right. Sunny morning, most of the last few days torrential rain dried up by the time breakfast was done, so out with the bench parts from the shed and onto the sawhorses and away we go. First thing to do is the finish making drawbore pegs, and then on we go with finally putting this thing together.
Hm. Help required here… Read more
Rain yesterday, rain tonight, but for a few hours, no rain. So, time to cut the last mortices (got the tenons for the long stretchers cut during the week).
This time, chopped the first five mm or so using a chisel the paul sellers way, and did that on both sides, then used the auger to remove the waste and cleaned up by chisel. Read more
Got home with about a half-hour of daylight this evening, and got out the rubber mallet to knock the leg frames together and dry-fit them into the benchtop again to see how badly misaligned the frames were in daylight (I checked them late last night and they wouldn’t even line up, the long stretchers if flush to one leg frame were hanging out in mid-air several inches away from the other leg frame…)
I may have built a vampire bench, because they’re perfectly fine in daylight but they were several inches out last night (maybe the short stretchers are playing a role here…)
So yeah, cut the tenons, chop the mortices, knock it all together to dry-fit and then drawbore and glue and away we go. Read more
Days of this. But it’s okay, the bench and the nice ash, poplar and walnut I got for a project is all under waterproof tarps.
You can see where this is going, can’t you? Read more
So I started this morning by finishing off the mortice for the plane stop. This did not go well. First of all, despite my dead fancy wooden carvers mallet, the old footprint half-inch chisel split right down the handle…
After yesterday’s tour of the inside of a cloud, today started with mild drizzle but dried out to good working weather around noon and since I’m on holiday at the moment, some progress got made…
Hooray! It stands up and it’s level in both directions! Rather pleased with that 🙂
There then followed a period of confusion with what step came next and some checking of notes, and then some testing to see if the aprons still fitted… Read more
So got an hour in in the morning before the moving cloud arrived. Started with the marked-out inner mortices for the second leg frame, sawed out the parts that could be sawn out and then started chopping away at the waste…
Took nowhere near as many photos as normal today, because I kept getting ten-minute bursts in between rain showers to work in in the morning. But I got some work done – the stretcher tenons got cut, the mortices in the second leg got drilled out in the top mortice and half-drilled out in the bottom mortice, and then I spent twenty minutes cursing and swearing, chopping at an inch-thick knot right at the edge of the mortice, stropping the chisel every few minutes to try to keep it as sharp as possible.
Git of a thing. Read more
Nice dry day this morning, so back to the bench I go. I managed to cut one mortice an evening during the week in the back leg, so this morning I started by cutting the matching tenons on the stretchers and then cutting the mortice in the benchtop for the leg tenon. A bit of fettling and everything was looking acceptable…